- New Zealand All Blacks captain Wayne Shelford, in his debut test match against France, took a boot to his crotch which ripped open his scrotum, leaving his testicle hanging. In the process, he also managed to lose 4 teeth. Instead of quitting, he calmly asked the physio to stitch things back up and continued playing. He only stopped after a blow to the head left him unconscious. Until this day he has no recollection of the game.
- Abebe Bikila, an Ethiopian runner found out at the last minute that he did not have a shoe his size for the 1960 Rome Olympics Marathon… and he decided to run the 26 miles barefoot. Not only did he bring home the gold, he went on to break the world record. His greatest feat came in 1970, after being tragically paralysed from the waist down, he trained hard to win gold in the 25km cross country slegde competition in Norway
- Ronnie Lott, an American footballer for the 49ers, almost amputated a finger in a game. Instead of opting for surgery to restore its used, he opted to have it chopped off in order to be ready to start the new season
- In 2001, WWF wrestler ‘Triple H’ completely tore off his quadriceps mucle in his leg. He continued on to finish the match, only after which he was rushed off to hospital
- Colin Meads of the New Zealand All Blacks fractured his arm in a tackle but stayed resolved to finish the game on his feet. A game which they won. Upon finding out that he had broken his arm, he said “at least we won the bloody game”.
- In contrast, boxer David Hayes claims he lost to Wladimir Klitschko because of a broken toe nail and proceeded to retire from the sport